Introduce your kids to whole wheat pasta with some help from Lorena’s finely tuned sauce.
- In a steam kettle, cook pasta 2 minutes less than manufacturer's directions
- Drain. Do not rinse.
- Add pomodoro sauce.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from kettle. Divide mixture into 3 each 4 inch steam table pans (12" x 20" x 4").
- Mix 3.5 pounds of cheese in each pan.
- Cover with plastic wrap and foil.
- Bake: Convection oven: 350° F for 30 minutes / Conventional oven: 375° F for 30-45 minutes
- Heat to 165° F or higher for at least 15 seconds. Uncover. Sprinkle a 2/3 pounds of shredded mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup of chopped fresh basil over the top of each pan. Bake uncovered for 5 minutes. Hold for hot service at 135° F or higher.
Additional Serving Suggestions
- Serve Pasta Al Forno in 20 ounce bowl.
- Use an 8 ounce ladle or #4 scoop to portion pasta al forno
1/2 cup = 2 M/MA and 1 grain/bread