Try National Nutrition Advisor Carol Chong's veggie frittata at breakfast for a nutrient-packed start to the school day!
CCP: Wash hands thoroughly. Put on clean gloves* prior to assembling recipe. *Change gloves often to avoid cross contamination
CCP: Gather ingredients, wash vegetables as needed prior to starting preparation procedures.
CCP: Defrost eggs under refrigeration.
- Place 1 hotel pan (12x20x2 1/2) on work table. Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Dice zucchini squash and onion, chop spinach and parsley.
- Pour oil into hotel pan, spread using a spatula. (melted margarine - increased sodium level or vegetable pan spray may be substituted).
- Add diced zucchini squash, onion and chopped spinach and parsley to oiled pan, mix together.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese on top of vegetable mixture.
- Mix white pepper into eggs, pour over cheese/vegetable mixture. Cover pan with foil.
- Place in preheated oven and cook for about 10 - 15 minutes. Check that eggs are "set", remove foil and rotate pan. Cook for an additional 8 - 10 minutes for slight browning to occur on top of frittata (oven times may vary depending on acccuracy of temperature calibrations).
- Check for doneness, a clean knife blade inserted into frittata should come out 'clean', or internal temperature of 160°F. Let set for 5 minutes prior to cutting into 1 oz (#30 scoop) portions or serving.
- Garnish with fresh parsley.
Additional Serving Suggestions
- Serve with 2 oz salsa cup (meets red/orange vegetable requirement)
1 serving = 1 M/MAA OR 1 grain/bread