Take your mac and cheese south of the border! Students will love the flavors and kitchen staff will be surprised by the ease of preparation.
- Cook pasta "al dente" (2 minutes less than you would cook pasta for immediate serving) and cool following HACCP procedures one day prior to serving.
- On the stove in a medium sized sauce pot make a roux* with the flour and oil.
- In a steam kettle on medium heat bring the milk to a simmer, add the roux and mix thoroughly.
- As the milk thickens add the chicken stock.
- When this thickens to a medium consistency add the cheese slowly mixing well to incorporate it into the milk.
- Add the salsa, corn, chili powder and nutmeg. Cook for ten minutes.
- Add the pasta and mix well to coat in sauce.
- Season with black pepper to taste.
- Transfer to four 2-inch deep serving pans and top with 1½ cups cheddar cheese each. (25 servings per pan)
- Bake in over at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Before serving add cilantro to top of pan as garnish.
- Cover and hold according to HACCP Hot Food Holding Guidelines.
Additional Serving Suggestions
- Serve in a 30 oz. bowl.
- Use a 12 oz. scoop for mac & cheese.
2 #6 scoops = 2 M/MA and 2 grain/bread