Gives mac and cheese a new name by including a serving of green veggies as an added bonus!
- Cook pasta "al dente" (2 minutes less than you would cook pasta for immediate serving) and cool following HACCP procedures one day prior to serving.
- Cut and blanch* broccoli and peppers one day prior to serving.
- On the stove in a medium sized sauce pot make a roux** with the flour and oil.
- In a steam kettle on medium heat bring the milk to a simmer, add the roux and mix thoroughly.
- As the milk thickens add the chicken stock.
- When this thickens to a medium consistency add the cheese slowly mixing well to incorporate it into the milk.
- Add the blanched vegetables and pasta.
- Season with black pepper to taste.
- Transfer to four 2-inch deep serving pans and top with 1½ cups cheddar cheese each. (25 servings per pan)
- Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Cover and hold according to HACCP Hot Food Holding Guidelines.
Additional Serving Suggestions
- Serve in 30 oz bowl.
- Use a 12 oz spoodle.
2 #6 scoops = 2 M/MA and 2 grain/bread
* To blanch vegetables immerse them in boiling water for 1 to 2 minutes and then cool rapidly in an ice bath, this results in a crisp vegetable that will retain it’s color.
**To make a roux, cook equal parts flour and oil until they are blended to a paste like consistency.