Dallas ISD brings us one of their student inspired winning recipes created as part of the Dallas ISD Student Chef “Go” Recipe contest that involved creating flavorful “Go” dishes from around the world. This winning Mexican Casserole that received over 3,000 student votes was created by 7th Grade student Maria Alvarado. This student inspired recipe is featured on the district menu and is a favorite of the Student Chef Maria’s classmates and the entire district.
- Equipment needed: 4” deep steam table pans, 2” deep steam table pans, mixing bowls, mixing spoons or spatulas.
- Chicken Strips:
- Cook chicken strips in steamer to 165°F
- Drain excess liquid from chicken
- Cover and hold in warmer until ready to assemble casserole
- Cheese Sauce:
- Cook cheese sauce in steamer to 135°F, hold in warmer until ready to assemble casserole
- Corn, Black Beans and Peppers:
- Cook in steamer to 135°F, hold in warmer until ready to assemble casserole
- Shredded Cheese:
- Separate into two portions: ¼ lb for casserole, ¼ lb for topping
- Tortilla Chips:
- Crush tortilla chips into small pieces.
- The tortilla chips will be combined with the shredded cheese to create a crust on top of the casserole
- Use approximately ½ a bag of chips per batch (40 servings)
- Combine drained chicken, cheese sauce, ¼ lb shredded cheese, corn, black beans & peppers
- Add the salsa, lime juice and spices.
- Mix well.
- Mix crushed tortilla chips with remaining ¼ lb of shredded cheese.
- Evenly distribute the mixture on top of the casserole
Bake in the oven at 350°F for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and chips are toasted.
Additional Serving Suggestions
- Serve each student 1 #8 scoop of casserole in a taco tub
1 scoop = 2 M/MA ; 1 taco tub = 1 grain/bread