Recipe courtesy of Miami Dade County Public Schools, Department of Food and Nutrition Services.
CCP: Wash hands thoroughly. Put on clean gloves.
- Clean and finely chop sweet peppers and onions. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan/stock pan, saute chopped vegetables until onions turn translucent --do not brown.
- Add seasonings - garlic powder, ground cumin, and basil to vegetables, and stir well.
- Add vinegar to the mixture, stir and let simmer for 20 - 30 minutes until thickens, stirring frequently so that the beans do not stick on the bottom of the pan.
- To serve, pour into a hotel pan.
CCP: Hold at 135°F for service.
Additional Serving Suggestions
- Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro. Serve over steamed brown rice.
- Serve 1 cup beans (2 # 8 scoops) over 1/2 cup rice
- Use for vegetarian or meatless food preferences.
1 cup = 2 M/MA