1. Thaw tortillas at room temperature or overnight. Proper thawing will aid in handling the product without breaking and cracking.
2. Pour pouches of undrained tuna into a mixing bowl. Sprinkle in Tajin and mix well, breaking up into smaller pieces.
3. Cut Romaine head in half lengthwise through root and end of lettuce. Rinse both halves thoroughly. Make 1 lengthwise cut leaving each root half intact, then cut across to make 1/4" strips. Rinse cut romaine under runing water and drain well. Salad spinner recommended.
4. Weigh then rinse tomatoes and cilantro under running water and drain in colander. Further dry cilantro by rolling in a disposable paper towel. Remove tomato core, and dice into 1/2" pieces, set aside.
5. Cut away thick stems of cilantro bunch, then finely chop; combine with chopped Romaine.
6. Prepare lime crema by combining sour cream, lime juice, chili powder, paprika, Tajin, and salt in a small mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
7. As an option, weigh and wash avocados. Cut avocados in half and remove seed. Using a large spoon, scoop out flesh and cut into 1/2" slices. Dip slides in acid, such as lemon juice, to prevent browning. Serve one slice as a garnish.
8. To assemple taco, place 2 oz tuna using a packed #16 disher onto center of tortilla. Top with 1/4 cup combination of shredded Romaine and cilantro and 1/4 cup diced tomato. Drizzle (or serve in portion cup) 1 Tbsp of lime crema and place optional slice of avocado on top. Serve immediately.
1 taco provides 2 oz eq meat/meat alternate, 1.75 oz eq grain, and 3/8 cup vegetable (1/8 cup dark green, 1/4 cup red orange)
Makes 20 servings, serving size one each
20 tortillas, whole grain, 8"
1 pouch (43 oz) Light Tuna in Water
1 tsp Tajin seasoning, low sodium*
10 oz Romaine lettuce, shredded
2 lbs, 10 oz tomatoes, diced, EP
3/4 oz cilantro, chopped, EP
1 lb, 6.8 oz avocados, sliced EP (optional)
1 1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup lime juice, bottled or fresh
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp Tajin seasoning, low sodium*
1/4 tsp salt
*Tajin and Chili powder can be adjusted down or up to accommodate children’s taste preferences.