CCP: Wash hands thoroughly. Put on clean gloves.
CCP: Defrost ground beef under refrigeration.
- Clean and chop onions, celery, green peppers. Set aside.
- Drain kidney beans, rinse in colander under cool running water. Set aside.
- Cook ground beef in a large stock pot or kettle. Drain meat to remove excess fat.
- Add chopped onions, celery and green pepper. Stir well and cook until vegetables are tender.
- Add canned tomatoes, with juice to beef mixture. Add kidney beans, water, and seasonings - garlic, chili powder and brown sugar.
- Stir well, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer until thickens and beans and vegetables are soft.
- Pour into hotel pans. Cover and keep hot at 135° or higher for service. Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro.
Additional Serving Suggestions
- Serve 1/2 cup chili over 1/2 cup cooked brown rice (use #8 scoop/ladle)
- Rice may be increased to 1 cup for secondary
1 serving = 2 M/MA and 1 grain/bread