Recipe courtesy of Durham Public Schools, School Nutrition Services.
- Lightly spray a braising pan with food release spray. Add ground beef* and pepper to heated braising pan. Cook ground beef until it has a brown color. Drain grease. Beef should be cooked to at least 155° F for 15 seconds.
- If available, you may substitute an equal amount of USDA beef crumbles (8 pounds) for the ground beef.
- Mix milk and nacho cheese sauce. Cover and heat measured milk and nacho cheese sauce (for 100 servings, this is 14 cartons of milk, for 50 servings this is 7 cartons of milk) in a 12”x20”x4” full pan in steamer for about 30 minutes or until it reaches 180° F.
- While preparing and stirring cheese mixture, place noodles in steamer.
- Add dry noodles to 2 gallons of water in a 12x20x4 inch steam table pan. Cook in the steamer for 10-20 minutes or until tender; DO NOT OVERCOOK. Drain noodles well. Run cold water over noodles to cool slightly.
- CCP: Heat to 155° F or higher for at least 15 seconds.
- CCP: Hold for hot service at 140° F or higher.
- Remove milk/cheese mixture from steamer. Gradually add shredded cheddar cheese and stir to begin the melting process. The mixture will be lumpy at this stage.
- Cover the milk and cheese mixture, place in the steamer for 10-15 minutes or until the temperature returns to 180° F.
- Uncover and stir the mixture until smooth.
- CCP: Heat to 145° F or higher.
- Stir the noodles into the milk and cheese mixture.
- CCP: Heat to 140° F or higher for at least 15 seconds.
Additional Serving Suggestions
- Use #6 scoop for each 2/3 cup
1 scoop = 2 M/MA and 1 grain/bread