CCP: Wash hands thoroughly. Put on clean gloves.
- Using large saucepan, brown beef. Drain excess fat.
- Chop onions, add to beef and saute until translucent in color, about 5 minutes.
- Add carrots and green peas to beef, mix well. Set aside.
- Heat stock in steam-jacketed kettle or saucepan, bring to a boil. Mix together cold water and cornstarch, slowly add "slurry" to the broth, stirring constatntly. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat. Remove from heat. Add pepper, thyme and garlic powder and stir.
- Add broth mixture to beef and vegetables. Mix well and pour into 2 hotel pans (12x20x2 1/2) in even amounts.
- Bring water to a boil. Mix water and milk together in a large mixer bowl. Add margarine, potato flakes, salt. Mix with paddle attachment for about 1 minute until well blended.
- Divide the potato mixture in half, and spread over the ground beef mixture on each hotel pan. Sprinkle with paprika or dehydrated parsley leaves. Cover each pan with foil.
- Bake according to oven type:
- Conventional oven: 375°F for 45 minutes
- Convection oven: 350° F for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil from pans, cook uncovered for 5 minutes.
CCP: Hold for hot service at 135°F or higher. Heat to 165°F for at least 15 seconds if reheating product.
Additional Serving Suggestions
- When serving, cut each pan in 5 x 5 pieces, such that there are 25 (10 oz) portions per pan.
10 oz. = 2 M/MA and 3/4 cup vegetable