CCP: Wash hands thoroughly. Put on clean gloves.
- Clean peppers and onions, chop them into a fine dice consistency.
- Heat oil in a large skillet.
- Add diced onion and peppers.
- Saute until onions turn translucent in color.
- Add garlic powder, cumin, sugar,oregano and black pepper. Stir well.
- Add black beans* with liquid to mixture, stir. Add vinegar, stir well.
- Reduce heat to simmer.
- Boil water.
- Place rice in a 12x20x2 1/2 hotel pan, measure boiling water and pour over rice.
- Add seasoned beans to rice and water. Mix well to distribute beans evenly.
- Cover pan with foil or lid.
- Bake at 350°F or steam at 5 pounds pressure for 30 - 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven/steamer. Let stand for 5 minutes, uncover and check rice for doneness,
- Sprinkle salt over rice mixture. Fluff with a cook's fork. Re-cover.
CCP: Hold at 135°F for service.
Additional Serving Suggestions
Red beans may be used instead of black beans.
8 oz. = 1 M/MA or 4 oz. = 1 grain/bread